Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Love letters to Harper: First Birthday





One year ago my Harper was born.  I think back on what our life was like before she was here. It was calmer, quieter and less work. I always though Harper was going to be a carbon copy of Hadley- I thought they would look alike and have the same personalities. Never could I have imagined that they would be so different, and yet both so perfect. And one year later it’s hard to even imagine what life would be like without this little love.

Here is her birthday letter.


Dearest Harper,

Today is your first birthday. How can that be? Turns out time moves forward in warped speed when you have two small children. Each day is a balancing act of making memories and basic survival!

Your labor and birth were a whirlwind and I remember being desperate in seeing your face. As soon as we made eye contact I knew my silly fear that I wouldn’t know how to love two daughters and that I wouldn’t have anything left to give, was just that…silly. It’s some sort of miraculous parenthood grace that I can’t put into words, but let me assure you, my love for you is stronger than even I could have ever imagined.



I’ve spent the last few evenings going through all of the pictures from your birth and first few weeks at home and it hardly seems like enough time has gone by to justify my reminiscing, but you’ve changed so much. A year is a long time filled with years of progress when you are a baby.

You are special and unique from the top of your head to the tip of your little toe. There is no one like you. You add a light and a sparkle to this world. You love being around people and you are really funny. I can see your little personality growing and see little glimpses of the little girl you are becoming.

Know that you are loved, my Harpie Lou. Your four grandparents (and great-grandparents!) look at you in awe. They hold you in their arms, beaming with love as they take in the wonder that you are. Your aunts, uncles and 8 cousins love you so much- they all think you are the cutest, funniest baby around. Your sister follows you around and can’t get enough of you.- she would do anything for you. You are the light in your daddy’s eye. He loves you more than words can express.

My love for you cannot be measured. Every time I see you, hear your squeaky voice, I feel more alive, more in love, more inspired to be a better, kinder person, and more moved to show my gratitude for being you and Hadley’s mama. (Thank you Jesus for this most wonderful blessing!)

A year ago today, our family of 3 became a family of 4 and the completion that you bring is indescribably beautiful.



And just like I did with your sister…when I woke you up this morning I whispered the same thing into your ear as I did when you were born, happy birthday baby girl.

Love,
Mommy



PS- And to my dear husband Derek- we survived!! Somehow by the grace of God (and lots of help from our families!), we made it through this year! There is no one else I’d rather share this adventure of parenthood with. I love you, too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment