Sunday, November 18, 2012

Love Letters to Hadley: On Your Second Birthday


My dearest Hadley,

I am going to start your 2nd birthday letter the same way I started your 1st birthday letter. How can it be that it was 2 years ago that I held you in my arms for the first time? It just doesn’t seem possible. I’m writing you this after a day of parties. There are piles of tissue paper and dishes are sitting in the sink and all I can think about is November 18, 2010.

Your birthday . . .  It is the peak of gratitude of every gift that your life has given me the last 24 months.  It is the day that I will always reflect on you; what I’ve learned from you, how I’ve changed, what I want for you and what you mean to me.

Sweet Haddy, what a little girl you have become. No longer are you the small, helpless baby who needed me for every waking need. Right before my eyes the chubbs are leaving your fingers and legs. (You still have the chubbiest feet there ever were. We’ll hold on to your “baked potato” feet for as long as we can.) And as the days go on your secret language of babbling is turning into real words and phrases. But today, I will stop lamenting on the things that aren’t happening anymore and celebrate and love on who you are now.

You are funny, sweet, dramatic, curious, entertaining, a pleaser, a performer, a dancer. Our tiny dancer.

I love your love, obsession, adoration for your Kitty. You are so sweet with your best friend and Kitty has gone everywhere with you during your second year of life. Your teachers even tease that Kitty should be added to the class list.

I love that you are a nosy girl and always questioning new people, new things and that you always have your pointer finger aimed at something. Your teachers are always commenting on this.

I love that when you are really and truly happy you squeeze your eyes shut when you smile and you tell me when you are being nice. “I nice” You are learning your manners and nothing makes this momma prouder than when you say please and thank you. Please don’t ever, ever stop using these important words. They will take you far in life. (Life lesson #231)

I love that, even though she’s here everyday, you always tell Daddy and I where Maverick is.

I love how you tease me with hugs and kisses. I’ll ask for a hug and you’ll open your arms wide and then run past me and giggle!

I love that sometimes a kiss from mommy is the only thing that will cure a boo-boo.

I love that you must wear a necklace, especially if I am wearing one. You know how to accessorize!

I love our quiet time together in my bed after daddy leaves for work in the mornings. That time is sacred and days that we don’t get that, I just feel “off”.

I may regret this, but I love your temper tantrums (and you throw a very dramatic tantrum!) but they are showing me and daddy (and people in Target, at the playground, e.t.c. . .) that you are beginning to be an independent child that has their own ideas, but sometimes you  have a hard time expressing that. Being two is rough sometimes. For both of us!

I love the daddy bond you have. The love that you share and they way you look at each other is something else. All you want to do is play basketball with him upstairs and it makes you so happy. A few months ago you noticed daddy playing with his golf clubs and you became obsessed. He got you your own set and now anytime you see him with his clubs you have to go get yours and copy him.

I love that deep down in my heart I know there is no such thing as a “daddy’s girl” vs “momma’s girl”. Your love is shared equally and though our bonds are different, they are every bit as special.

Every part of knowing you, loving you and thinking about you is heaven, and your two tiny years have given immeasurable happiness into this home. There are so many things to look forward to as you grow older, but for now you are only two.

Actually, you are still only one for a few more hours. And there was still a bit of  baby left when I put you to bed tonight as you held on to my finger and sucked on your paci. I left your crib saying the same words I whispered to you when you were placed in my arms for the first time two years ago,

Happy birthday baby girl, I love you.




No comments:

Post a Comment