Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Harper's Birthday

August 20th is tied for my favorite day ever! Both of my girls' birthdays have been wonderful days that I am already nostalgic for. I am so happy to have Harper in my arms, but miss having her all to myself. I want to remember every detail of my baby girl's birthday.

We really wanted Hadley to spend the night at home the night before and it was such an emotional night for me. Rocking her to sleep for the last time as my only baby is something I'll never forget. We talked about where mommy was going the next day and she kept saying "I love you so much, and I'm happy"! I couldn't comprehend loving another baby as much as her and I had such guilt for that and for rocking my big girl's world! (Its true what ever parent says...as soon as you lay eyes on your baby you fall in love. Praise God that he makes rooms in our heart to love all of our babies.)

I took one last belly picture before it was time to head to the hospital.


Driving to the Hospital

We checked into the Hospital at 7:30 and Dr. Michelsen came to check on me at 8:00 and got things started. Our families came to the Hospital to hang out with me and I loved having them all there- it makes the day go by so much faster! I had planned on getting my epidural around lunchtime (like I did with Hadley) but at around 10 my nurse checked me and I was already close to 5 cm. I went from 1-5 very fast! She recommended I get my epidural then.


The rest of the morning was about the same. My epidural was "working" but I was still very uncomfortable, especially in the afternoon. Harper was facing to the side and that was causing me to have back labor- which I could still very much feel! Again, I progressed very quickly and was fully dilated shortly after. The anesthesiologist was able to get my pain under control right as Dr. Michelsen was called at about 2:30. I was so shocked that it was happening so fast- I thought I'd have the whole day to prepare myself! But Harper had other plans!! 


After about 30 minutes of pushing, Harper was born at 3:53 pm. She was placed right onto my chest and I couldn't wait to see what she looked like. She was perfect and Derek made sure she had 10 fingers and 10 toes (and was still a girl!!)

We had my sister stay in the room while I was pushing to take pictures and to be a support person for me (and Derek!) I'm so glad she was in the room and I know its an experience the both of us will never forget! Thanks for the great pictures Aunt Caroline! 


They let me hold her for a while and I could not stop staring at her. The nurses took her to get cleaned up and weighed and I was shocked to hear that she weighed 8 pounds 2 ounces!!


As soon as we could, I wanted Derek to go get our parents! I couldn't wait for them to come back to the room and meet their new granddaughter! This moment is one of my favorite parts of the day. 






After about an hour I was transferred to my post-partum room and I was ready for a change of scenery! Harper's bassinet and door were all decked out for our new room!


Our families left for a bit and Derek and I settled into our new room and had a few quiet hours with our new daughter. She ate and had her first bath.


Everyone came back and my parents, Mark, Caroline and Emily brought us Palio's pizza- best meal ever! I was SO hungry!


Emily really made herself at home!


We had a toast for Harper Christine!


Then everyone left and Derek, Harper and I settled in for our first night together. I was exhausted! Hadley was with Aunt Jess and the Euting kids all day and was having a blast- Jessica was going to be bringing her up the next morning and we were so excited to see her! (And Jess and the girls!)

We are so glad you are here Harper! We love you so much. Our family feels complete and our hearts are full! Praise God for you! 









No comments:

Post a Comment