Saturday, March 5, 2011

Papa

The world lost a great man, my grandfather Clayton Monroe Kelly on Sunday February 27th.  My parents and aunt and uncle were there with him this weekend. We spent Tuesday and Wednesday in San Antonio for his services. They were perfect and I know he would have loved it. 

I have so many memories with my Papa. When Hadley was about a month old my phone rang late in the evening. When I looked at the caller ID it read Papa. My first thought was something was wrong and I was scared to answer the phone, but I'm so glad I did. Papa was just calling to chat. We talked for 30 minutes and it is a conversation I will remember and cherish forever. He wanted to know all about how Hadley was doing and he was reminiscing about bringing home my dad from the hospital. He said the first night they were home he and Mimi took turns walking up and down the short, narrow hallway in their home. He remembered it being a long and hard night but when he and Clara would pass each other in the hall all they could do was smile at each other. Papa told me he didn't sleep a wink that night because he finally told my grandmother to go to sleep and he would take care of the baby the rest of the night. Papa chuckled when he said this because he remembers being shocked Clara agreed to this because he had no idea what he was doing! Derek and I had a very similar experience and he loved hearing that. Being a new mom is scary and I mentioned that I was scared. Papa simply said no reason to be scared because God knows what he's doing.

I'll take that advice now, Pop. I love you, miss you and will think of you always.

It was a hard week, but yesterday the flag at the K4 ranch flew at half mast for our Papa...

Picture my mom sent me

And last night, he painted a beautiful sunset.

Picture my dad sent from the ranch

And today I have this little one to put a smile on my face.



Papa sure did love Hadley, even though he never could get her name right! I'll make sure sweet Hadley knows all about her great-grandpa. 

Thank you to all our friends and family for coming and supporting our family and honoring Papa. A special thank you to Betty for holding Hadley at the funeral. It made it easier sitting through it knowing my sweet baby was there with me. 

Click here to read his obituary- Clayton Monroe Kelly

Clayton M. Kelly passed away peacefully February 27, 2011, surrounded by his family. He was 87. He was born November 6, 1923, in Ranger, Texas to Clay and Florence Kelly. 
Clayton was a graduate of Beeville High School, Beeville, Texas. Upon graduation in June 1941, he joined the United States Navy. He was stationed at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, and went on to serve in the Pacific theater throughout World War II. After the War, he returned to Texas, settling in San Antonio, where he met his wife of 34 years, Clara DeLany Kelly. Most of his San Antonio years were spent in the automobile business. After Clara's untimely death in 1984, Clayton moved to the family ranch near Belmont, Texas, in Gonzales County, where he raised cattle and managed wildlife. He had a life-long passion for the outdoors and spent countless hours improving and enjoying his beloved ranch with his family. He transformed it into a family treasure. He is a charter member of the Belmont Philosophical Society. 
Clayton is survived by his sons, Gary C. Kelly and wife Carol of Plano and Roger L. Kelly and wife Stacy of Boerne; grandchildren, Caroline Kelly Pfeiffer of Dallas, Elizabeth (Lizzy) Kelly Johnson of Frisco, Kyle Ethan Kelly of Boerne, Laurelyn Jewel Kelly of Boerne, and Delany Rose Kelly of Boerne; grandsons-in-law, Mark Pfeiffer and Derek Johnson; great grandchildren, Emily Delany Pfeiffer of Dallas and Hadley Carol Johnson of Frisco; brother, Virgil H. Kelly of Aquilla; sister, Charlotte Kelly Mendel and husband Dan of San Antonio; and sister-in-law, Myrtle DeLany Grisham of San Antonio. More than anything, Clayton was a devoted brother, husband, father, grandfather, and great grandfather.
Clayton was a devout Christian and member of several Methodist churches in San Antonio. More recently, Clayton attended the First Baptist Church in Seguin, Texas, where he had many friends.
The family would like to thank Seguin Assisted Living, Morningside Ministries at Menger Springs in Boerne, and Vitas Innovative Hospice Care for all the wonderful loving care and attention they provided. In lieu of flowers, tribute contributions may be made to the Morningside Ministries at www.mmliving.org.


No comments:

Post a Comment